National Organization for Marriage Announces New Marriage Anti-Defamation Alliance
Thomas Messner /
The National Organization for Marriage recently announced the launch of a new project called the Marriage Anti-Defamation Alliance. This vital project responds to growing concerns about the reprisals directed against many people who support marriage as one man and one woman.
The Heritage Foundation has documented, for example, how people who supported Proposition 8, the California marriage amendment, were “subjected to harassment, intimidation, vandalism, racial scapegoating, blacklisting, loss of employment, economic hardships, angry protests, violence, at least one death threat, and gross expressions of anti-religious bigotry.”
The goals of the Marriage Anti-Defamation Alliance include:
- To create a supportive community for those who have been threatened for standing for marriage,
- To nip in the bud the climate of fear being created by many advocates of same-sex marriage,
- To expose to fair-minded Americans the threats being made by these activists,
- To conduct high-quality qualitative and quantitative research documenting the extent of the harm, and
- To develop legislative and community proposals to protect Americans’ right to engage in the core civil rights to organize, vote, speak, donate, and write for marriage.
More information about the Marriage Anti-Defamation Alliance is available at http://marriageada.org/.