Obama Gives Congress Obamacare Relief — Illegally
Amy Payne /
“Heavens, I have staff who don’t make much money. This would be a really big bite for them.”
That could be any employer talking about the costs of Obamacare. But it’s a Member of Congress—who’s happy the President will soften the blow for him and his employees.
Ironically, when Members of Congress passed Obamacare, they kicked themselves and their staffs out of their current subsidized employer (federal government) coverage.
As Robert Pear, veteran health reporter for The New York Times, noted back in 2010, “If they did not know exactly what they were doing to themselves, did lawmakers who wrote and passed the bill fully grasp the details of how it would influence the lives of other Americans?”
Now, the Obama Administration says, “No problem.” Congress can keep their health care subsidies ($5,000 for individual coverage or $11,000 for family coverage) and use them in the new Obamacare exchanges.
In a surprise to no one, the President doesn’t actually have legal authority to do that.
Heritage’s Ed Haislmaier explained in detail how the Administration twisted its interpretation of the law to fix Congress’s little problem. As he put it, “It was bad enough that Congress had to pass the law to find out what was in it. Now, the Administration is ignoring the law when they don’t like what they find.”
Obamacare is riddled with problems—but the Administration is only trying to fix the ones that create political problems for the President.
That’s why it delayed the employer mandate—hoping fewer employers would drop coverage before the next election.
Now, to get Congress off its back, the Administration is fixing the problem Congress created—so that lawmakers don’t have to vote to fix their own mess.
Unfortunately, it’s still a mess for the rest of us.
If you think the rest of us shouldn’t be saddled with this unfair, unaffordable, and unworkable law either, join the chorus to Defund Obamacare.
>>> Visit our new Defund Obamacare site
Read the Morning Bell and more en español every day at Heritage Libertad.
- 5 things Craigslist teaches us about trade.
- Did you hear how much Obamacare money is going to Planned Parenthood?
- Can you “lean in” as an unpaid intern?
- The National Zoo is now watching this rare animal 24 hours a day expecting a furry, bouncing bundle of joy.
- Violence in Egypt has claimed at least 600 lives as the country’s turmoil continues.
- Ruth—in the Bible—was gleaning before it was cool. Now gleaning is back to feed the hungry.
- Are you on Instagram or know someone who is? Join our #StopObamacare Instagram campaign!