Benghazi is back in the news in a big way. Here’s a quick update on what happened last week—and how it all started.
Congress said it will finally put together a select committee to investigate this terrorist attack that killed four Americans. This could be a huge step toward unraveling the real story behind the Benghazi attack and the cover-up that has denied Americans the truth.
Also last week, a Freedom of Information Act request by the group Judicial Watch unearthed incriminating emails from Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes regarding the Obama White House’s attempt to construct a misleading narrative about the attack.
Just what happened in Benghazi? It took Americans a long time to find out initially. Here are some of the key events of 2012 leading up to and following the attack.
April 6, 2012: IED thrown over the fence of the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
June 6: A large IED destroys part of the security perimeter of the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi. Creates hole “big enough for 40 men to go through.”
Late June: The building of the International Red Cross is attacked again and closed down, leaving the U.S. flag as the only international one still flying in Benghazi, an obvious target.
September 8: A local security officer in Benghazi warns American officials about deteriorating security.
September 11: Protesters attack the U.S. Cairo embassy. U.S. Embassy releases statement and tweets sympathizing with Muslim protesters/attackers.
September 11: U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya is attacked; Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans are killed.
September 12: Secretary Clinton and President Obama issue statements condemning a YouTube video that was blamed for anti-American uprisings and the attacks.
September 13: Press Secretary Jay Carney condemns the video and violence at a news conference.
September 16: Libyan President Mohammed Magarief says, “no doubt that this [attack] was preplanned, predetermined.”
September 19: CNN reports having found Ambassador Stevens’s diary, which indicates concern about security threats in Benghazi.
September 20: Obama refuses to call attack terrorism, citing insufficient information.
September 21: Secretary of State Clinton, at meeting with Pakistani Foreign Minister, says, “What happened in Benghazi was a terrorist attack.”
September 25: To the U.N. assembly, Obama blames “A crude and disgusting video sparked outrage throughout the Muslim world.”
September 26: Published reports show U.S. Intel agencies and the Obama Administration knew within 24 hours that al-Qaeda affiliated terrorists were involved.