“There’s plenty of horror stories being told. All of them are untrue.” – Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.)
“Many of the tall tales that have been told about this law have been debunked.” – President Barack Obama
Last week was “victory lap” week for liberals on Obamacare. After years of telling the American people that we just don’t understand the health law enough to love it properly, the president and his allies are now crowing that all debate should be over.
But he didn’t stop with insulting everyday Americans. Reid took a dig last week at Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), himself a doctor who is resigning from the Senate to continue cancer treatment.
Coburn initially lost his cancer specialist when he was forced into the Obamacare system. But when Coburn voiced concern—from experience—about the lack of cancer treatment centers covered under Obamacare, Reid said he was just “getting into the weeds” and that “I think we need to look at the overall context of this bill.”
The editorial board of Investor’s Business Daily marveled :
We recently called Senate Majority Leader Reid “delusional” on another topic, but to that we can now add “callous” and “insensitive” — in his disregard of cancer sufferers and the hardships imposed on them by administration politics and ObamaCare.
… Reid coldly dismisses people such as Edie Sundby, a stage four cancer patient, who was told that the plan that had paid out $1.2 million and helped her survive all these years was substandard and would be canceled because it didn’t contain the one-size-fits-all coverage mandates of ObamaCare.
Meanwhile, President Obama exulted in claiming that the “tall tales” about Obamacare “have been debunked.” Was he talking about Obamacare’s job-killing effects? Its limiting of patient choices? Its forcing all Americans into a one-size-fits-all health care model?
Thankfully, this isn’t the end of the story. In the same week, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal (R) released a blueprint for health care reform. Heritage experts have been working on patient-centered solutions for years. Americans know that the horror stories are real, and that there has to be a better way to go.
Read the Morning Bell and more en español every day at Heritage Libertad.
- Did you see “Captain America: Winter Soldier” over the weekend? Turns out the superhero is at the center of a tax controversy.
- You’ll never guess what Jimmy Carter said about Iran’s new ambassador to the United Nations.
- Is opposition to same-sex marriage at all like opposition to interracial marriage? No.
- Why doesn’t the AP support freedom of speech in Cuba?
- What’s the situation in the Ukraine now? Get answers from one of our experts.
- “Equality,” “diversity” and “tolerance” may not mean what people think they mean.
- Univision is at it again—this time, pushing a climate change agenda.