Since the passage of Obamacare in 2010, many of the President’s famous promises have been routinely broken. As he so ironically threatened in 2009, “If you misrepresent what’s in this plan, we will call you out.” To that end, here are 10 promises of Obamacare that have already been broken.
1. “If you like your health care plan, you’ll be able to keep your health care plan, period.”
- Millions of Americans have lost and will lose their current coverage due to Obamacare.
- 4.7 million reported health insurance cancellations or changes of existing policies in 32 states.
2. “[T]hat means that no matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise to the American people: If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period.”
- Many Americans might not be able to keep their current doctor without paying extra.
- Many plans offered on Obamacare’s exchanges have very limited provider networks.
3. “In an Obama administration, we’ll lower premiums by up to $2,500 for a typical family per year.”
- Premiums for people purchasing coverage in the individual market have significantly increased in a majority of states.
- Family premiums for those with employer-based coverage have increased by an average of $2,976 from 2009 to 2013.
4. “[F]or the 85 and 90 percent of Americans who already have health insurance, this thing’s already happened. And their only impact is that their insurance is stronger, better and more secure than it was before. Full stop. That’s it. They don’t have to worry about anything else.”
- Obamacare imposes new benefit mandates on those with employer-sponsored coverage—a majority of Americans.
- Coverage mandates are leading to higher premiums and companies changing their plans to adapt to them.
5. “Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase.”
- Obamacare contains 18 separate tax hikes, fees, and penalties, many of which heavily impact the middle class.
- Among the taxes that will hit the middle class are the individual mandate tax, the medical device tax, and new penalties and limits on health savings accounts and flexible spending accounts.
Read the Morning Bell and more en español every day at Heritage Libertad.
- The President and First Lady keep trying to argue that choosy moms choose Obamacare. Is it working?
- How does President Obama want you to spend Christmas? If you’re trying to get covered by Obamacare, this might be a more realistic take.
- According to a judge in Colorado, the government can now force you to bake a cake.
- Looking for a Christmas gift for the conservative in your life—or new conservatives to follow on Pinterest? Here are some great suggestions.