Independence Day has come and gone, unofficially marking summer’s halfway point. As the season heats up, millions of Americans are in search of making the most of their summer months. Many are escaping their daily routines in search of a little rest and relaxation. Some are headed off to beaches or campsites to experience the great outdoors, while others will embark on tours of historic cities. No matter the destination, all vacationers can benefit from one essential novelty – a simple book.
Summer reading is a part of American culture. Elementary students join their local libraries for summer reading clubs, while young-adults tackle American classics such as “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Great Gatsby.” Without the academic pressure, it is easy to neglect the title that’s been sitting on the bedside table.
A summer vacation is the perfect time to read a book, possibly a few. Nagging “to-do” lists can be put on the back-burner, or perhaps completed with the treat of a good read. The only obstacle vacationers’ face is the overwhelming task of selecting a book. There are a myriad of books available. But who has the time to sift through them? We have come to your rescue and compiled suggested readings, many of them from Lee Edwards’ recommended reading list or recent visitors to Heritage book events.
In the midst of divided government, there is no better time to read (or re-read) the classics which have inspired many conservatives, or the works of those who they have inspired. Be sure to visit the Heritage bookstore for select titles.
- Conscience of a Conservative – Barry Goldwater
- The Conservative Mind – Russell Kirk
- Demonic – Ann Coulter
- Free to Choose – Milton and Rose Friedman
- Getting America Right – Edwin J. Feulner
- Liberty and Tyranny – Mark Levin
- The New Road to Serfdom – Daniel Hannan
- The Obama Diaries – Laura Ingraham
- One Nation Under Arrest – Paul Rosenzwieg & Brian Walsh
- Primetime Propaganda – Ben Shapiro
- The Quest for Community – Robert Nisbet
- Reckless Endangerment – Gretchen Morgenson & Joshua Rosner
- Righteous Indignation – Andrew Breitbart
- The Road to Serfdom – F.A. Hayak
- The Secret Knowledge – David Mamet
- Up From Liberalism – William F. Buckley Jr.
- We Still Hold These Truths – Matthew Spalding
- Why Obamacare is Wrong for America – Grace-Marie Turner, James C. Capretta, Thomas P. Miller, Robert E. Moffitt
- Witness – Whittaker Chambers
- 1984 – George Orwell