Senate Analysis –
The Senate will continue their push to complete the four remaining appropriations bills, as the fiscal year nears an end. Senate leadership had hoped by this point health care would be completed and they would be on the verge of passing a cap-and-trade bill. Major policy work on health care, global warming taxation and financial reform will continue in the background for much of September.
Major Senate Floor Action –
- Senators will continue work on the Transportation-HUD appropriations bill, which increases spending by 22.6% over last year’s non-emergency level.
- A global warming debate could break out on the Interior-Environment appropriations bill, which increases spending by 16.5% over last year’s non-emergency level.
- Details in the Commerce-Justice-Science appropriations bill are likely to be overshadowed by debate over the Obama Administration’s investigation into the CIA.
Major Senate Committee Action –
- The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee will hold two important global warming-related hearings: “Impact of Greenhouse Gas Trading Program” and “Economic Effects of Climate Change Legislation”
- The Senate Foreign Relations Committee will hold two key hearings on Afghanistan: “Three Strategies for Afghanistan” and “Threat of Failure in Afghanistan”
- The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee will hold a hearing on “Protecting Against Cyber Attacks”
House Analysis –
Health care will continue to be a major issue of debate behind the screens as Congress continues to navigate this important issue. Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) said it will come to the floor “when it’s ready to come” offering little information on when a deal will be struck. Other issues that will continue to draw attention this fall include Financial Regulatory Reform, DOD Authorization Conference Report, Appropriations Conference Reports, and a likely Continuing Resolution.
Major House Floor Action –
H.R. 3246 Advanced Vehicle Technology Act of 2009
H.R. 3221 Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act
Major House Committee Action –
Congressman Nick Rahall (D-WV), Chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee will be holding two hearings on his bill H.R. 3534 the “Consolidated Land, Energy, and Aquatic Resources (CLEAR) Act of 2009. Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar will be testifying in front of the committee concerning this legislation. Mark up of this legislation is expected in committee later in the month.